October 14, 2009

Reminiscing

Dredging up cooking photos from what feels like a lifetime ago (even though it was only last year) reminds me of how unfamiliar I was with all that I was cooking, following recipes word for word, randomly throwing things together on a plate and unsure about how certain foods partner with others (like salmon and fennel, prosciutto and thyme) or why it's important to rinse freshly boiled vegetables in iced cold water when blanching. Here are snippets of a few of the first meals I cooked for my family. If you want to know how I made a dish or have any questions, feel free to ask, I'd love to share :)

Smoked Salmon, Rocket and Hollandaise Bruschetta

 Tomato and Basil Bruschetta

Spinach, Pinenuts and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast with Mashed Potato

 Chocolate Fondant with Vanilla Ice-Cream - The first batch that I baked was over-cooked and didn't have a gooey chocolate centre

Rosemary and Parsley Stuffed Chicken Drumsticks - A simple dish to make; Mix chopped herbs with lemon zest, sea salt and cracked black pepper, stuff it under the chicken's skin and pan fry/roast/grill until cooked.

Lemon and Rosemary Veal Cutlets with Prosciutto-wrapped Asparagus

Shiitake Mushroom, Chestnut and Spinach Risotto - It turned out so gluggy, I'm yet to attempt my second risotto

No comments: