Last night for dinner I rummaged through the kitchen for possible ingredients to make a healthy salad with the BBQ chicken that I bought from Coles. There are endless possibilities as to what you can incorporate into the salad - it all narrows down to personal taste and what is seasonally available. I love that it really is just bits and pieces of anything found in the fridge at home; but still manages to taste so scrumptious and is an instant meal, partnered with some fresh bread or rice.
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Celery, finely sliced on the diagonal
- Carrot, julienned
- Asian herbs from the garden (spearmint, Vietnamese perilla and fish mint), finely chopped
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Bocconcini, roughly chopped
- Prosciutto, roughly chopped
- BBQ Chicken, bones removed and shredded
- Homemade dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, verjuice, fresh lemon juice, seeded mustard, finely chopped basil and mint, salt and pepper
- Other ingredients that work well are: coriander, fresh lime juice, sliced button mushrooms (Saute with the prosciutto) and toasted sesame seeds.
Combine the vegetables, herbs and cheese in a large bowl with most of the dressing. Add a dash of olive oil to a pan over medium-high heat and saute the prosciutto until it starts to become crispy. Then add the chicken, season to taste and cook for a further minute. Combine the meat mixture with the salad in the bowl, finishing off with a drizzle of the rest of the dressing.
Warm BBQ Chicken and Prosciutto Salad