A few sweltering days ago, I wanted to make a refreshing, summery salad to bring to work. It was too hot to even move, which meant going down to the local shops for some fresh greens was out of the question. Instead, I decided to raid our fridge to make do with what we already had at home. The end result was not a green salad, but what closely resembled a Christmas-coloured coleslaw... ho ho ho!
- ½ Savoy cabbage, shredded
- ¼ Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed and sliced thinly
- 2 tbs sea salt
- 300g frozen cooked prawns, thawed
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup dressing, mustard, mayonnaise or a combination of all three (I used my Kenko Sesame Miso Dressing)
Combine cabbage, lettuce, carrot, capsicum and sea salt in a bowl. Stand for at least 30 minutes, or until wilted. Drain and squeeze excess liquid from the vegetables, and transfer to a serving bowl. Halve the prawns, cutting through the spine and add it to the vegies. Squeeze over juice from the lemon, crack in some pepper, and finish off with a generous drizzle of the dressing of your choice. Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.
Christmas Coleslaw with Prawns